Asian Crunch Salad
My Mom makes a version of this salad every summer – it’s a perfect refreshing side dish to your typical summer bbq fare. I called her for the recipe and she claimed she couldn’t find it and suggested that I should “make it up as I go.” Such a typical Mom response. And just the thing I would do – figure it out as I go along!
Luckily, it’s a pretty simple recipe with few ingredients. The dressing however, was a little more of a challenge. I tried to keep it simple, using a few key flavorings and that’s it – sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, honey… It worked out perfectly! I LOVE the flavor of this salad. I think the sesame oil really makes the whole thing! It’s just such a unique flavor and really stands out against everything else.
The other thing that I thoroughly enjoy about this salad is the texture. It’s so crunchy! Crunchy cabbage, peanuts, bean sprouts, ramen noodle bits, cucumbers….everything is crunchified! Definitely keeps your mouth busy for sure. AND it holds up well as leftovers making it a perfect bring-to-work meal!
I hope you try this salad – I think you’ll really love it! It’s perfect as a dinner side, a great dish to bring to a bbq or to take to a picnic (with no mayo it stays fresh longer!). I hope you enjoy!
Asian Crunch Salad:
- 1 small napa cabbage or 1/2 large
- 2 cups (or 2 large handfuls) bean sprouts
- 3 large green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into thin half moon slices
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 pack Ramen noodles, crushed
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients – from sesame seeds to pepper in a small bowl. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the remaining ingredients except the crushed Ramen noodles. Pour on dressing and toss to combine. Gently stir in the Ramen noodles immediately before serving (in order to preserve their crunchiness). Enjoy!