Beans & Greens Soup
So it’s finally post Thanksgiving. Usually the time I fear the scale the most (though this year the numbers looked good!). Despite not gaining my typical mashed potato 5 pounds, I’ve felt a little run down. Tired, some stress at work, not as active, and food choices not exactly at their best… I decided I needed some type of ultra healthy meal. One that was easy, quick and required minimal effort. But, although in need of some health-ifed meals, excess work stress has me feeling lazy so I needed a no-work required idea!
Enter Beans & Greens Soup. Low-fat, low-calorie but full of lean protein, fiber and antioxidant filled greens. Perfect! Just what I needed. To fulfill my “easy and minimal effort requirements”, I cooked this in the crockpot. Totally hands off. It literally took me about 10 minutes to assemble everything. Can you get any better?? I don’t think so.
My choices for the beans included white beans and ivory lentils. What are ivory lentils you ask? I don’t know. They just seem to be a lentil that’s white. I saw them at a little gourmet market and decided I MUST have them because I’ve never seen an ivory lentil before. And of course I can’t bypass any unique food related item without buying it! Lord only knows they sat in the back of the pantry forever until today.
My greens selection included some baby spinach and a big handful of parsley. I bet arugula, escarole or kale would be good options too. But I had a surplus of spinach and decided this recipe was the perfect way to use it up. The parsley gives the soup a nice fresh flavor. Almost lemony which was really nice.
Now, you’d think I ate a giant bowl of this. As I’ve already stated, I just feel like my body needs a healthy boost. Buuuut, I also happened to make a recipe for homemade pimento cheese (will be up later this week) and decided that was a much better dinner time meal than soup. Cheese spread for dinner, what a great choice?! Oh well…healthy eating starts today!
Beans & Greens Soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups white beans
- 1 1/2 cups ivory lentils (or any old lentil)
- 10 oz spinach
- 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a removable crock pot insert. Or in the bottom of a soup pot if you aren’t using a slow cooker. Add in onions and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the stock, rosemary, beans, lentils, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then shut off and place in crock pot. Set crock pot on medium and cook for about 6-8 hours. If not using a crock pot, turn soup down to low and cover. Cook on low for about 60 minutes.
- Remove rosemary springs, leaving the leaves int the soup. Add in the spinach and parsley to the soup and blend. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Serve hot!