Butternut Squash, Cranberry & Feta Kale Salad
I work in an outpatient building thats attached to a hospital. So on days I forget lunch or just didn’t get around to packing it, I’m lucky enough I can walk right next door and hit up the hospital cafeteria. You might not think that sounds too appetizing, but it actually is! They have really good food and a ton of options. My favorite being the salad bar – 4 different types of greens, multiple types of protein (including tofu!), and a ton of fresh veggies! I love it!
They also sell pre made salads – like cobb or caesar salads. But over the past few weeks they’ve had this beautiful looking harvest salad. It’s topped with butternut squash, cranberries, feta and pumpkin seeds. I just loved how it looked – bright yellow squash, ruby red cranberries, white feta and dark green pumpkin seeds. Really quite beautiful.
This past week I took a picture of it so I could remember the ingredients. I knew I wanted to recreate this at home. I’ve been telling my coworkers for weeks now that I wanted to make this salad for dinner. Now, I’ve finally done it! And I can tell you that this salad is not only beautiful to look at but it’s also really really good.
The salty feta mixed with tart cranberries and sweet roasted squash is just amazing all together. You gotta get a bite of everything when you eat this! It’s perfect! And if you can find a fruit based dressing, like a raspberry vinaigrette or in my case a blueberry poppy dressing, it takes this salad up a notch! Now for protein, I used some seared tempeh cubes. They soaked up all that dressing which was delicious! But roasted turkey breast or some sliced Italian sausage would be tasty too for meat lovers!
Make this salad! You’ll love it! And if you use kale, it holds up well as leftovers for lunch the next day! Perfect!
Butternut Squash, Cranberry & Feta Kale Salad:
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 8 oz tempeh, cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 oz cubed feta cheese
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1/4 raspberry or blueberry vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss butternut squash with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While squash cooks, heat remaining olive oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat. Sear tempeh until golden brown on each side – 1-2 minutes pre side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toss kale with desired amount of dressing. Divide between two plates and top each plate with half of all the toppings. Enjoy!