Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake
On Monday evening I got to go to a really delicious work dinner at a new restaurant near us! It’s a place that focuses on all organic, farm-to-table ingredients. They have a ton of vegetarian and even vegan dishes which was really fun to see! My coworker ordered this spaghetti squash casserole with spinach (didn’t sound too great), but was hands down the best spaghetti squash dish I’ve ever eaten in my life!
I really like spaghetti squash – especially if I can use it to replace pasta! But this dish just took it over the top! It was mixed with spinach, zucchini, tomato sauce and topped with super ooey gooey melted cheese. The crazy thing is, I only had one bite! And 2 days later, I was recreating this miraculous dish at home!
Since I didn’t really have much to go on, except spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, I decided to throw in a few extra delicious ingredients. Onions, garlic (of course), sautéed spinach and crumbled tempeh were the perfect additions to this comforting baked dinner! The tempeh added some protein, but anyone who’s a meat lover out there could swap in some Italian sausage or ground meat as well! All would work well in this dish.
When making this dish, I’d suggest cooking your spaghetti squash in the microwave. It’s a whole lot quicker than roasting it in the oven and you get the same exact results. Perfect if you want to make this on the fly. Check out my recipe and how-to tips for cooking it here! It’ll help get this amazing entrée on your table quickly – which is important once you taste how wonderful it is.
The best part, was that this dish was basically all veggies and you’d never even realize it! All that warm tomato-y spaghetti squash topped with bubbly and browned mozzarella cheese was a party in my mouth! I loved, loved, loved this dish. And considering there are no more leftovers, I’m kinda depressed. Fortunately this dish was ridiculously easy and quick to make, so it will be making a 2nd appearance on our dinner table in the near future!
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake:
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and inside scraped out (see this recipe)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 8 oz crumbled tempeh (or for meat lovers Italian sausage would be great!)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup light shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 7-10 minutes or until translucent and just beginning to caramelize.
- Add in crumbled tempeh (or sausage or ground meat if using). Cook for another 5 minutes or until protein is cooked through. Add in baby spinach, stirring frequently as it begins to wilt.
- Remove filling from pan and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cooked spaghetti squash – fluffing with a fork to help ingredients mix thoroughly.
- Add in tomato sauce – add enough to coat mixture thoroughly but not so much that it’s soupy. Spoon spaghetti squash mixture into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle on mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then turn on broiler and broil for about 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown! Enjoy hot!