Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Dip With Garlic Parmesan Toasts
Pretty much anytime Dario and I see spinach artichoke dip on a menu, we order it. It’s one of our favorite appetizers! Creamy, cheesy with delicious bites of spinach and artichokes all throughout. Perfect on crunchy tortilla chips, crackers or little toasts. We’re always fighting each other for the last little bite!
But now, we don’t have to fight over it! Because I’ve made it at home! And this recipe has enough servings for both of us, plus about 4 other people. In fact, it’s a couple days later and there is still a hefty amount leftover in the fridge. Might be time to share the extras…
My version of spinach artichoke dip is nice and thick and very, very cheesy. I’m not a fan of dips that are soupy or watery…you can never get an adequate amount on your chip! And it drips all down your chin as you slurp it up! My dip on the other hand, is thick and creamy! It’s filled with marscapone cheese, low fat cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese!), a touch of mayo and the perfect combination of nutty parmesan cheese and creamy fontina cheese. No soupy dips here!
- 6 oz chopped frozen spinach, drained
- 15.5 oz can artichokes, chopped (tough ends removed if needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, plus 1 whole clove sliced in half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 8 oz marscapone cheese, softened (leave at room temp for at least 2 hours)
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups grated fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 loaf of Italian bread, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Make garlic parmesan toasts first. Lay out the slices of Italian bread and drizzle both sides with olive oil – if you have an olive oil spray, that works great. Bake at 400 for about 5-7 minutes or until lightly crispy. Remove from the oven and rub one side of the toasts with cut side of the halved garlic clove. Sprinkle all toasts with the 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Put toasts back into the oven for another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t walk away! These burn very, very quickly!!
- Leave oven at 400F to cook the spinach and artichoke dip. In a large mixing bowl add in the frozen spinach, artichokes, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, marscapone cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan and fontina cheese. Mix together and set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until beginning to turn translucent. Add in garlic and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes. Stir onion mixture in with the spinach and artichokes.
- Season dip with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Slowly add in the milk – you do not want a soupy dip, but not so thick it’s like a paste, so be mindful of how much to add.
- Spoon dip into a baking dish and cover with bread crumbs. Drizzle with additional olive oil and bake for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown! Serve hot with garlic parmesan toasts!