Lemon Basil Yogurt Cheese
I love cheese! It’s one of my all time favorite foods. And this Lemon Basil Yogurt Cheese fits the bill. It’s creamy, lemony and fresh. I especially love this smeared on toast or crackers. It’s the best afternoon snack.
This is such an easy recipe too. After you strain the yogurt, the cheese is pretty much done right then and there. It’s actually pretty tasty at that point. But adding the lemon and basil really made it!
Lemon Basil Yogurt Cheese:
- 16 oz 2% plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Lay 2 layers of paper towels or cheese cloth over a medium sized fine mesh sieve. Set sieve over a larger bowl ensuring the bottom of the sieve is not touching the bottom of the larger bowl – the whey will drain out from the yogurt and you want it to drain away from the yogurt and not have the bottom of the sieve sitting in the drained liquid.
- Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow to sit for at least 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. The result mixture will be very thick and creamy – somewhere along the lines of a cream cheese consistency.
- Place the strained yogurt and remaining ingredients into a bowl of a food processor. Blend until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Store in a airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.