Lemony Fava Bean Pesto Flatbread With Smoked Mozzarella
I recently ordered some fava beans from Melissa’s Produce. I can rarely find fava beans near me – sometimes during warmer months at the farmers market. But generally not. I love these big, fat creamy beans. They’re so filling and versatile.
The only thing about fava beans that can kinda be a pain in the butt, is when you find them fresh. You have to get them out of their pods and then take off each individual bean’s shell. A lot of work. Not fun for a weeknight. Or any night for that matter. But if you can find them, shelled and peeled, life is good. Thankfully Melissa’s does that for you!
They actually have a whole line of steamed legumes. Fava beans being the ones I was most interested in trying it! Fava beans have such a creamy consistency and make a really great pesto. Plus, I’m a huge fan of their bright green color! Really makes for a great looking pesto.
The last time I used fava beans, I made a deliciously thick pasta sauce. This time I spread a thick layer of my fresh pesto over whole wheat pizza dough for a homemade flatbread. Oh my that was delicious! So creamy, so bright and studded with sweet sun dried tomatoes and gooey melted smoked mozzarella cheese. Wow – loved this!
This recipe is super easy and quick. Plus, you’ll have some leftover pesto that I found to be particularly delicious as a dip, spread onto sandwiches and even as a spread for my morning breakfast sandwich! Enjoy!
Lemony Fava Bean Pesto Flatbread With Smoked Mozzarella:
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough (leave a room temperature for at least 30 mins)
- 16 oz Steamed Fava Beans
- 1/3 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked mozzarella, diced
- Optional: red pepper flakes and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Pre heat oven to 475 F. Place pizza stone or baking sheet in oven to preheat as well. This will ensure a nice golden brown and crispy crust.
- In the bowl of a food processor add in the fava beans, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Pulse for about 20 seconds until ingredients are finely chopped and combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn on food processor. With the blade running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Stop processing every 15 seconds or so to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Keep tasting and adjust for seasonings and texture. For a looser consistency, add more olive oil. If you’d like a thicker consistency add less olive oil.
- Roll out the pizza dough into desire shape. Spread on a fairly thick layer of the fava bean pesto. Sprinkle on the toppings: the red onions, sun dried tomatoes and diced smoked mozzarella. Add red pepper flakes here if you’d like!
- Bake flatbread on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet for about 10 – 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbling and melted! Drizzle on a little extra virgin olive oil if desired and serve hot!
The ingredients in this post were provided free of charge from Melissa’s Produce. Recipe created and developed by BeanAFoodie. I did not receive any kickbacks or payments from featuring Melissa’s Produce in this post – just got to cook with delicious produce!