Parmesan Oat Risotto With Peas & Tomatoes
Yup, you read it correctly. Oat risotto. Made from the breakfast staple steel cut oats! I know, crazy right? Savory oats! Who woulda thought?! But before you click away, convinced that I’ve totally lost it….let me tell you how delicious oats can be for dinner!
I totally agree, that when you think of “oats” the typical image is a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, raisins and nuts. OK, maybe not the raisins, because raisin ruin everything. But you get the point. A sweet, comforting bowl of oatmeal is a breakfast only, sweet morning meal. But not today people. Today oats become a deliciously savory, cheesy, creamy dinner time treat.
Oats, in and of themselves, are not sweet. Think about it…oats become oatmeal when you add sugar and all that other sweet breakfast stuff. Alone, oats are neutral in flavor. Nutty, chewy and filling, but they can totally go either way – sweet or savory. Kinda like flour – it can be used in cakes or a salty focaccia.
I started off my risotto with the typical onions, garlic and white wine. Which is a great base for any risotto for that matter. The oats when cooked over about 30 minutes while slowly adding in liquid come out to be a thick, creamy and rich “risotto.” Without any cream! Which is awesome. And totally the reason why I needed to add a smidge of butter.
I finished the dish with peas and cherry tomatoes for a little freshness and bright color. And of course the obligatory cup of parmesan cheese! I swear, this is my all time new favorite dish in the entire world. It’s so creamy and thick! I loved how filling it was all the while being really healthy! All that fiber and protein from the steel cut oats – way better than arborio rice! Delicious…just delicious! Don’t be scared off by the oats!! Just try it, I promise you’ll love it! Oh and don’t forget! Click here for last weeks GIVEAWAY post! Enter for a box of KIND snack bars + a 15% off and free shipping coupon!
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 16 oz frozen peas, slightly defrosted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup parmesan cheese + more for serving
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a large pot. Add in onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine. Stir mixture for a few minutes or until liquid reduces by about half. Add in the steel cut oats and cook for about 1-2 minutes allowing the oats to soak up the wine.
- Add in 2 cups of the vegetable stock. Stir occasionally until almost all of the stock has been absorbed by the oats. Add in another cup of stock and continue to stir, until once again most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue this process for about 25-28 minutes or until oats are tender, but still have a bit of a chew to them and you reach your desired consistency. Note: I used just about 5 1/2 cups of stock for a tender, yet chewy bite and a thick creamy consistency.
- Once you have added in all the desired stock and oats are tender, add in the peas, tomatoes and cheese. Stir to combine and cook just until the peas are defrosted and fully warmed through.
- Serve hot with extra parmesan cheese!