Pineapple Lime Agua Fresca
Here on the East Coast, we were waiting and waiting for the warm Spring weather to arrive. It seemed like Winter was going to hang over us for a long time. But finally flowers are blooming, warm winds are passing through and Spring has arrived! And now…it feels like it’s already over with mid 80’s temps and humidity. Geesh…Spring comes and goes way to fast for my liking. I love the perfect warm temperatures and little humidity. Virginia summers are harsh, hot and humid. Yuck. You’re always sweating and its hard to keep up with the water intake!
Usually I am for that typical 64 oz a day deal. But plain water gets old. Quick. I see my bottle sitting on my desk, just waiting to actually be sipped on. I’ve tried adding crystal light and MIO – both of which add some tasty flavor. But they’re awfully artificial and you can’t deny that aftertaste. It’s just odd. I’m definitely not the biggest fan of those. I wish there was some amazing tasting beverage – just a touch sweet – but doesn’t use any artificial sugar or 6 cups of regular sugar. Can someone invent that? Oh wait…I did! Ha. Agua fresca is the answer! Well…I didn’t invent it, but I came up with my own version!
Agua fresca is great because it’s super easy to make, uses all natural ingredients and helps get in those much needed ounces of water during the hot days of summer. The perfect sweet beverage that has little added sugars and no artificial sweeteners. And yes, tastes awesome and makes drinking water a breeze! It’s basically pureed fruit and water (strained) served over ice – chock full of nutrition too. Traditional recipes use a lot of added sugar or honey to sweeten it up. But I found that if you use super ripe, sweet fruit, you don’t need nearly the amount of extra sugar. The natural flavor of the fruit is just perfect!
For this recipe I just a super ripe pineapple, some lime juice and a pinch of salt. Yup, salt. Brings out the flavors and almost enhances them. Very useful little trick! If you’re not a pineapple fan, try any of your favorite fruits. I’ve seen mango, strawberry, watermelon and even mixed berry versions! All look pretty wonderful and I think will be making a presence in my fridge very, very soon.
Pineapple Lime Agua Fresca:
- 5 cups roughly chopped pineapple,
- juice from 2 limes
- zest from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 10 cups of water
- In a food process or high powdered blender, add all of the ingredients. You may only be able to add in half of the water depending on the size of your machine. Just mix in the remaining water with the fruit mixture in a large pitcher.
- Process ingredients until completely smooth. Strain agua fresca through a fine mesh sieve. You can skip this step if you enjoy a bit of the pulp and fruit bits throughout your drink (similar to OJ with pulp). I’m not a huge fan, so I strained my agua fresca.
- Pour agua fresca into a large pitcher – add remaining water if you have it. Stir to combine and taste for sweetness.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour and serve cold over ice! Will stay fresh for 2-3 days!