Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb pizza dough (at room temp and rested - makes it easier to roll out)
- 2 large onions, or 3 small thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ cup halved kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ½ sliced cherry tomatoes (get about 3 slices from each tomato)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- In a large heavy bottom saute pan, add olive oil and heat over medium. Add onions, salt, pepper and thyme - stir to combine.
- Cook onions on medium for about 40 minutes or until cooked down and deep caramel color. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Roll out pizza dough to desired thinness - I generally do ¼".
- Evenly spread out the caramelized onions over dough. Sprinkle on goat cheese, tomatoes and kalamata olive evenly over pizza.
- Transfer pizza directly to pizza stone or a lightly oiled sheet pan. Bake for about 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown on the edges.
- If you like, drizzle an addition 2-3 tbsp of good quality olive oil over the top. Slice and serve immediately!