BBQ Tempeh & Slaw Stuffed Pitas
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main Course, Sandwich
- 1 package tempeh, sliced into 8 pieces
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce (choose your favorite)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 whole wheat pita halves
- Optional: sliced tomatoes, onions, extra BBQ sauce
- 2 small kohlrabi, about 2″ in diameter, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ½ thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Optional: a few dashes hot sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper and dijon mustard. Mix well.
- Add in the shredded kohlrabi and carrot, red onion and parsley. Toss well in dressing.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Slice tempeh into 4 pieces. Then slice those pieces in half length wise so you have 8 thin pieces about the size of a credit card.
- Marinate tempeh in BBQ sauce for 1 hr or in the fridge overnight.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high.
- Wipe off any extra BBQ sauce from the tempeh (so it doesn't burn). Place tempeh in skillet and saute over medium high heat from about 1-2 mins per side or until golden brown.
- Place two slices of tempeh into each pita. Stuff in about ¼ cup coleslaw, slice tomatoes, onions and drizzle on extra BBQ sauce if desired. Serve immediately.