Braised Baby Artichokes With Capers & Garlic
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 25 baby artichokes, cleaned
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for drizzling before serving
- ⅓ cup minced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp capers plus a little juice
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 1½-2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley,
- juice from 2 lemons, divided
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and juice 1 lemon into the water - leave lemon halves in the water as well. You will place the cut and trimmed artichokes in this lemon (acidulous) water to help them prevent browning while you prep for the recipe.
- To clean the baby artichokes, start by trimming the stem so that any hard or browned parts are removed. Then remove all the browned and dry outer leaves - you may remove up to 3 0r 4 rows of those outer leaves. This will leave you with a tender artichoke when they are cooked. Peel the stem and parts of the remove leaves so that are hard and tough parts are completely gone. Lastly, remove about 1-2" of the tops of the artichokes - the tips are typically tough. Depending on the size, I usually remove about the top ⅓ of the artichoke leaves.
- Slice all the artichokes in half (scoop out any fuzz on the inside if there is any) and place them in the lemon water.
- While artichokes are hanging out in the lemon water, heat up the olive oil in a large braising pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add minced onions and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until beginning to turn translucent.
- Add in garlic cloves, capers, salt and pepper. Saute for another 1-2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
- Drain the artichokes well and add to the pan. Pour in the vegetable stock until it reaches half way up the artichoke halves. Bring artichoke mixture to a simmer, and then cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20-25 minutes ensuring to check half way through to ensure enough liquid remains in the pain - if needed added a splash or two of vegetable stock.
- Artichokes will be done when they are knife tender. Before serving, add in the juice of the remaining lemon, parsley and butter. Stir to combine and serve hot with an extra drizzle of olive oil and crusty bread for dipping!