Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 16 oz package of pre-made whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 jumbo eggs, scrambled
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ medium red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup packed, fresh spinach chopped
- ¾ cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 oz shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large saute pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions, red pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and brown.
- Add in garlic, salt and pepper and chopped spinach and continue to cook until spinach is completely wilted - about another 5 minutes.
- Add in eggs and cook entire mixture for another 3-4 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked.
- Divide pizza dough into 6 equal parts. Roll out each section into a circle about ¼" thick.
- Sprinkle on ½ oz cheddar cheese and top with ½ cup egg mixture to one half of the dough. You can add more or less depending on how much dough you have or how filled you want your calzones.
- Fold over the top of the dough, pressing at the seams to seal the calzone shut.
- Place calzones on a greased baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes or until dough is golden brown.
- If freezing: allow calzones to cool and then wrap in plastic wrap. Place calzones in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat calzones, place in the oven at 350 until defrosted and warmed through or microwave for about 3 minutes.