Candied Kumquats in Vanilla Syrup
- 16 oz kumquats, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed and set aside
- ½ tsp salt
- Bring the water, salt, sugar, vanilla bean halves and seeds to a low simmer.
- Carefully add in the kumquats and simmer for about 45-60 minutes or until kumquats are translucent and the syrup has reduced by at least half. Syrup will have thick bubbles when finished.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Store in a glass jar or tupperware in the refrigerator. Syrup will thicken as it cools - if you want to loosen it up, microwave for about 1 minute.
- Serve over yogurt or ice cream. Candied kumquats are also great in salads or other areas you'd use dried fruit!