Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and inside scraped out (see this recipe)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 8 oz crumbled tempeh (or for meat lovers Italian sausage would be great!)
- 1½ - 2 cups tomato sauce
- ¾ cup light shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 7-10 minutes or until translucent and just beginning to caramelize.
- Add in crumbled tempeh (or sausage or ground meat if using). Cook for another 5 minutes or until protein is cooked through. Add in baby spinach, stirring frequently as it begins to wilt.
- Remove filling from pan and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cooked spaghetti squash - fluffing with a fork to help ingredients mix thoroughly.
- Add in tomato sauce - add enough to coat mixture thoroughly but not so much that it's soupy. Spoon spaghetti squash mixture into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle on mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then turn on broiler and broil for about 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown! Enjoy hot!