Cherry & Carrot Oat Muffins
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp fresh nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 oz fat free plain or vanilla greek yogurt (1 individual cup)
- ½ cup no sugar added applesauce
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried unsweetened cherries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: oats, almond meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: eggs, yogurt, applesauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined. Allow muffin batter to sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then stir in the carrots, cherries and pumpkin seeds.
- Scoop muffin batter into the muffin tin. Using a ½ cup ice-cream scoop works well. Muffins do not rise so mound the batter into a muffin shape - this batter makes a perfect set of 12 muffins.
- Bake muffins for 50-55 minutes. Top will be golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in the tins for about 10-15 minutes. Remove and allow to finish cooling on a cooling rack. Enjoy warm with butter or jam! Freeze individually for quick on the go breakfasts!