Cornmeal Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes with Tangy Remoulade Sauce
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 3 green tomatoes, sliced into ¼ " pieces
- ⅓ cup corn meal
- ⅓ cup plain bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp + ½ tsp pepper
- ½-1 cup canola oil (for frying)
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp hot sauce (I used Cholula)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 scallions, minced
- juice from ½ lemon
- Whisk together the beaten egg with 3 tbsp of water and pour into a dish. In another dish, mix together the bread crumbs, cornmeal, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. The flour should be placed in another dish - this will be your breading station. Line up the flour first, then the egg wash and lastly the bread crumb mixture.
- Begin breading the tomato slices: dip each tomato slice into the flour, then the egg wash and then the bread crumb mixture. Ensure each tomato slice is thoroughly coated at each station. Lie breaded tomato slices on a cooling wrack atop paper towels or a dish rag.
- Once tomatoes are all breaded, heat the oil in a heavy bottom cast iron skillet over medium high. The oil should come about ¼" up the sides of the pan. Allow oil to fully heat up before frying - this may take 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully fry the tomatoes, flipping them over half way through cooking - each side should take about 1 min or so. You want them to be golden brown and crispy. Once fully cooked, lay the tomatoes back on the cooling wrack placed over towels.
- To make the remoulade sauce, mix together the sour cream, hot sauce, remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, scallions and lemon juice. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Serve fried green tomatoes hot with the remoulade sauce. To reheat tomatoes: preheat oven to 350F and bake for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Tomatoes won't be as crispy, but they won't be soggy.