Cranberry Apple Mini Pies
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 round of frozen pie crust, defrosted
- 2 medium apples, diced
- ½ cup cranberries
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar (depending on how sweet your apples are)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp zest and juice of a lemon
- 1 egg scrambled - used as egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a mini muffin with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- While oven preheats, melt butter in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add apples and cranberries and sauté for about 12-15 minutes or until apples are softened and cranberries have burst.
- Add in brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice. Stir to combine and cook another 2-3 minutes. Taste filling and adjust for seasonings - add more sugar if it isn't sweet enough for you.
- Using a glass or biscuit cutter, cut out circles about 3" in diameter - big enough to line the bottom of the mini muffin cups. Press gently so that the pie crust is pressed into the corners and creases of the muffin cups.
- Place about 1 tbsp of filling into each muffin cup - just so it's filled to the top. Cover each of the mini pies with a few strips of pie crust. I used about 3, ¼" strips per mini pie. You could also use a smaller round, just make sure to put some small slits or holes in there to allow steam to escape. Press the strips or smaller rounds to the sides of the bottom crust to ensure they stick together.
- Brush each pie with the egg wash. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pie crust is golden brown. Cool mini pies in the muffin tin for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm with powdered sugar!