Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip With Garlic Parmesan Toasts
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6 oz chopped frozen spinach, drained
- 15.5 oz can artichokes, chopped (tough ends removed if needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, plus 1 whole clove sliced in half
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 8 oz marscapone cheese, softened (leave at room temp for at least 2 hours)
- ½ + ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2½ cups grated fontina cheese
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup 2% milk
- ½ loaf of Italian bread, sliced into ½" pieces
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Make garlic parmesan toasts first. Lay out the slices of Italian bread and drizzle both sides with olive oil - if you have an olive oil spray, that works great. Bake at 400 for about 5-7 minutes or until lightly crispy. Remove from the oven and rub one side of the toasts with cut side of the halved garlic clove. Sprinkle all toasts with the ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Put toasts back into the oven for another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Don't walk away! These burn very, very quickly!!
- Leave oven at 400F to cook the spinach and artichoke dip. In a large mixing bowl add in the frozen spinach, artichokes, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, marscapone cheese, ½ cup parmesan and fontina cheese. Mix together and set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until beginning to turn translucent. Add in garlic and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes. Stir onion mixture in with the spinach and artichokes.
- Season dip with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Slowly add in the milk - you do not want a soupy dip, but not so thick it's like a paste, so be mindful of how much to add.
- Spoon dip into a baking dish and cover with bread crumbs. Drizzle with additional olive oil and bake for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown! Serve hot with garlic parmesan toasts!