Creamy Spinach Potatoes w Baked Eggs
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 baked potatoes
- 1 cup spinach packed, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, minced
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prep potatoes, begin by slicing an oval into the tops of the potatoes leaving a ½" rim. Flip the potatoes over and slice a very thin sliver off the bottom so that all the potatoes can lay flat.
- Scoop the inside of the potatoes out, again leaving about ½" layer of potato intact.
- Reserve half of the scooped out insides (make mashed potatoes or fritters with the other half!) in a large mixing bowl. Mash until most lumps are gone and potatoes are fairly smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium high heat. Add spinach and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until wilted.
- Add spinach, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and scallions to the mashed potatoes. Mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of the potato-spinach mixture into the insides of the hollowed out potatoes. Press with you fingers so there is still a well or hole that can hold the egg.
- Crack the eggs carefully into a small ramekin and then transfer into each of the potatoes. Add additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake potatoes for about 20 minutes or until the whites are set. Enjoy hot!