Crispy Smashed Garlic Potatoes
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 lb small (1-2" diameter) red potatoes
- 3 tbsp garlic olive oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- While oven heats, fill a large pot with cold water. Add in 1 tbsp salt and potatoes and cover. Turn on high and allow water to come to a boil.
- Once boiling, allow potatoes to cook for about 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once potatoes are cooked, remove from water and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, take a large wooden spoon or other large flat object and gently press each potato until it smashes into a flattened circle. Don't smash them into pieces - they should still hold together (see pictures above).
- Line a baking tray and slide on smashed potatoes. Drizzle potatoes with garlic oil and sprinkle on remaining tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- If you want a crisper crust (you do!) turn off your oven and the turn on the broiler. Broil potatoes for 2-3 minutes (timing depends on how close the rack is to the heat element) or until dark golden brown and crispy.
- Top with chopped parsley or chives and serve immediately.