Fava Bean Pesto and Penne
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 qt cooked and shelled fava beans
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ cup basil
- ½-3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (depends on consistency)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 qt cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ lb whole wheat penne pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- To cook fava beans, add to boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Carefully peel the outer thick skin, reserving the bright green insides for the pesto.
- In the food processor, add garlic, fava beans, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, basil, and lemon juice. Pulse a few times until finely chopped.
- With the food processor running, slowly add in the extra virgin olive oil, stopping every now again to check consistency and flavor. Depending on how thick or thin you like your pesto, add more oil for a thinner pesto or less for a thicker sauce.
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium low heat and add pesto and cherry tomatoes. Cook gently for a few minutes or until pasta is ready.
- Add hot pasta to warmed pesto and tomato mixture. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Serve warm with extra parmesan cheese if desired.