Fennel & Orange Salad With Lemony Lentils
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- ¼ large red onion
- 4 medium oranges (I used Cara Cara oranges), segmented, juice reserved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup lentils, cooked
- ¼ parsley, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice the fennel and red onion into very thin slices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the reserved orange juice (from segmenting the oranges - squeeze the juice from the leftover orange membranes), olive oil, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar and half of the lemon juice. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Toss together the fennel slices, onion slices, oranges and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing - it makes a lot, so don't pour all of it on at once - and gently toss to coat all the vegetables.
- In another small bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, chopped parsley and remaining lemon juice.
- To serve, plate the fennel salad mixture. Top with the lentils and lastly a few slices of the avocado. Enjoy!