Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb hearty white fish - like cod - cut into 4 oz pieces
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup plain whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning, separated
- Cooking spray
- Optional: lemon wedges, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce
- For ingredients needed for potato wedges, click here.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set a wire cooling rack on top. Spray cooling rack liberally with cooking spray.
- In 3 separate bowls/plates, put flour in one, egg in another, and bread crumbs in the last one. Scramble the egg well.
- Add 1 tbsp of Old Bay to the bread crumb mixture. Add the remaining 1 tsp of Old Bay into the flour and mix both well.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels and like an assembly line, take the first piece of fish and dip it into the flour mixture until well coated on both sides.
- From the flour, dip the fish into the egg until completely coated in egg - make sure you get every bit coated otherwise the bread crumbs won't stick very well.
- Lastly, take the fish and dip it into the bread crumb mixture pressing the fish down so its completely coated with the bread crumbs.
- Continue with the remaining fish and place all pieces onto the sprayed wire rack. Coat each piece of fish with cooking spray on the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 7 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on high and broil fish for 1-2 minutes or until desired golden brown. Remove fish from oven, carefully flip to the other side, and broil for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce. Also great on a kaiser roll with lettuce and tomato!