Cheese Stuffed Fried Squash Blossoms
Fried Squash Blossoms
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 pints squash blossoms
- ⅓ up finely chopped mozzarella
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt - to taste
- ½-1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Batter: In a blender or food processor, combine the flour, eggs, water and olive oil. Process until completely smooth.
- Pour into a semi-deep bowl.
- Check over the squash blossoms for dirt or other debris. Carefully open each blossom and stuff in a few pieces of the mozzarella. Do not over stuff as you do not want the cheese oozing out while you fry the blossoms.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottom or cast iron skillet over medium high-high heat. Allow to heat up for 5-10 minutes (you can check if it's hot enough by inserting the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If small bubbles appear around the spoon, the oil is ready).
- Gently dip the cheese-stuffed blossoms in the batter. Allow excess batter to drip off.
- Carefully place 3-5 flowers into the hot oil. BE CAREFUL - the flowers have a somewhat high water content and will spit and splatter once they hit the hot oil. It's good to wear long sleeves and have a splatter guard handy while frying.
- Fry flowers for about 30 seconds per side - or until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt immediately after the flowers come out of the oil.
- Serve hot!