Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into ¼" coins
- 1 small eggplant cut into ½" sticks
- 1 lb ravioli, filling of your choice
- 2 cups whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup regular plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp dried oregano (or other favorite spice blend)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup homemade marinara sauce (or other favorite sauce), warmed
- Lemon wedges, additional grated parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Set out 3 separate flat bottom bowls or baking dishes. Add the flour and ½ tsp salt and pepper to one dish. Add eggs and water to another dish, scramble to combine. In the third dish add in both bread crumbs, grated cheese, oregano and ½ tsp of salt and pepper.
- Prepare a large sheet pan or baking pan with parchment, cooking spray or a silpat. Working in small batches first coat vegetables or ravioli in flour. Then move to egg and thoroughly coat. Finally transfer items into breadcrumb mixture. Press down lightly to ensure a thick coating of breadcrumbs sticks to the vegetables or ravioli.
- Place on sheet pan - there's no need to leave much room between the vegetables. Lightly spray with olive oil or non fat cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. As many oven temperatures differ, monitor vegetables to make sure they do not burn. Vegetables should turn golden brown and the breadcrumbs toasted and crunchy.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and marinara sauce.