Kale Salad With Crispy Eggplant
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale, washed, cleaned and chopped
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese shavings
- ⅓ pine nuts, toasted
- 1 medium to large eggplant, sliced in to ½" rounds
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup za'tar spice
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, scrambled with 2 tbsp water
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp - ¼ cup Lemon Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Set out 3 separate flat bottom bowls or baking dishes. Add the flour to one dish. Add eggs and water to another dish, scramble to combine. In the third dish add in both bread crumbs, za'tar spice and ground pepper.
- Prepare a large sheet pan or baking pan with parchment, cooking spray or a silpat. Working in small batches first coat eggplant rounds in the flour. Then move to egg and thoroughly coat. Finally transfer eggplant into the breadcrumb mixture. Press down lightly to ensure a thick coating of breadcrumbs.
- Place on sheet pan . Lightly spray the tops of the eggplant with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. As many oven temperatures differ, monitor eggplant to make sure it does not burn. The eggplant rounds should turn golden brown and the breadcrumbs toasted and crunchy when finished.
- While the eggplant bakes, toss the chopped kale with the lemon vinaigrette - add more or less dressing based on your taste. Plate salad and sprinkle on the pine nuts and parmesan shavings.
- When the eggplant is finished baking, top each salad with 2-3 crispy rounds. Enjoy!