Lemony Fava Bean Pesto Flatbread With Smoked Mozzarella
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough (leave a room temperature for at least 30 mins)
- 16 oz Steamed Fava Beans
- ⅓ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓-1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup smoked mozzarella, diced
- Optional: red pepper flakes and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Pre heat oven to 475 F. Place pizza stone or baking sheet in oven to preheat as well. This will ensure a nice golden brown and crispy crust.
- In the bowl of a food processor add in the fava beans, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Pulse for about 20 seconds until ingredients are finely chopped and combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn on food processor. With the blade running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Stop processing every 15 seconds or so to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Keep tasting and adjust for seasonings and texture. For a looser consistency, add more olive oil. If you’d like a thicker consistency add less olive oil.
- Roll out the pizza dough into desire shape. Spread on a fairly thick layer of the fava bean pesto. Sprinkle on the toppings: the red onions, sun dried tomatoes and diced smoked mozzarella. Add red pepper flakes here if you’d like!
- Bake flatbread on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet for about 10 – 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbling and melted! Drizzle on a little extra virgin olive oil if desired and serve hot!