Mint & Spring Pea Pesto with Farfalle
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Pasta
- 2½ cups shelled Spring peas (frozen peas will do in a pinch)
- ½ c fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt and black pepper, more to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½-3/4 c water
- 1 lb farfalle pasta, or other short cut pasta
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- If using fresh peas, blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until the starchy flavor is gone. Shock in cold water to stop the cooking. Frozen peas do NOT need to be cooked beforehand.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the first 5 ingredients (through salt and pepper). Pulse pea mixture until throughly combined and forms a paste. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Stop, scrape down the sides, taste mixture and adjust for seasonings.
- Again, with the food processor running, slowly add in the water. You may or may not need all of the water, so stop frequently to check the consistency of the pesto and scrape down the sides of the bowl. It should be thick or similar to a semi-runny pancake batter.
- Toss hot pasta with enough of the pesto mixture to thoroughly coat. Add int he tomatoes and feta cheese. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.