Parmesan Oat Risotto With Peas & Tomatoes
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 16 oz frozen peas, slightly defrosted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup parmesan cheese + more for serving
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a large pot. Add in onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine. Stir mixture for a few minutes or until liquid reduces by about half. Add in the steel cut oats and cook for about 1-2 minutes allowing the oats to soak up the wine.
- Add in 2 cups of the vegetable stock. Stir occasionally until almost all of the stock has been absorbed by the oats. Add in another cup of stock and continue to stir, until once again most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue this process for about 25-28 minutes or until oats are tender, but still have a bit of a chew to them and you reach your desired consistency. Note: I used just about 5½ cups of stock for a tender, yet chewy bite and a thick creamy consistency.
- Once you have added in all the desired stock and oats are tender, add in the peas, tomatoes and cheese. Stir to combine and cook just until the peas are defrosted and fully warmed through.
- Serve hot with extra parmesan cheese!