Quinoa Stuffed Swiss Chard Rolls
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Entree
- 6 large swiss chard leaves, cleaned and thick rib removed
- ½ large onion, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp porcini salt (or regular kosher salt)
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled OR Italian sausage
- 1 tsp crushed dried sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup tomato sauce (choose your favorite!)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil. Carefully add in the 6 cleaned and trimmed swiss chard leaves. Blanch for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and submerge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain on a paper towel and set aside until ready to stuff.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions, zucchini and garlic and sauté for 7-10 minutes.
- Add in crumbled tempeh or sausage if using and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add in salt, pepper, oregano, sage and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, zucchini mixture, chopped walnuts and 1 cup feta cheese. Combine thoroughly and taste for seasonings.
- Lay out one of the swiss chard leaves and sprinkle with a tiny portion of the freshly grated nutmeg. Scoop about ¾ cup of the filling at the bottom end of the leaf. Roll leaf, pressing the filling in and folding in the sides of the leaf to prevent filling from coming out the sides.It's very similar to rolling a burrito. Repeat with the remaining 5 leaves.
- In a square baking dish spread out half the tomato sauce. Place all 6 swiss chard rolls seam side down. Top with remaining tomato sauce and 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until warmed all the way through. Remove foil and cook another 3-4 minutes under the broiler until feta cheese melts and begins to brown. Serve immediately!