Red Kuri Squash, Spinach & Bean Enchiladas
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 cups diced red kuri squash (butternut squash or sweet potatoes would work well also)
- ½ large onion, diced
- 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen spinach, water drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 0z shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- While oven preheats, heat up olive oil over medium high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add in kuri squash and sauté for about 10-12 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add in diced onion and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Cook spices for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Combine the kuri squash mixture, black beans and frozen spinach together.
- In a large baking dish, pour in about ⅓ cup of the enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce in a deep dish so you can dip in each tortilla.
- Dip each corn tortilla into the enchilada sauce - coating each side. Fill with about ¼ cup of the filling and 1 tbsp of the shredded cheese. Roll and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- After pan is full, pour any remaining enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas. Cover each enchilada thoroughly with more shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until filling is warmed through. Then broil for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden and crispy around the edges. Enjoy hot!