Roasted Mushroom & Red Spinach Salad
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Salad
- 8 oz red spinach (regular spinach or other sweet greens would work well here)
- 3 endive bulbs, sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- heaping ½ cup homemade croutons (recipe below)
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup Roasted Garlic Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place mushrooms on a sheet tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme ½ tsp pepper. Toss to combine and roast for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crispy around the edges.
- While the mushrooms roast, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat. Place endive bulb halves cut side down into the hot pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and slice crosswise into 1" slices. Set aside.
- Toss the sliced endive with the spinach, mushrooms, almonds and croutons with about ¼ cup of Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette (drizzle slowly and mix frequently so you do not over dress the salad). Taste salad and adjust for seasonings. Sprinkle goat cheese on top of individual servings or over the final tossed salad.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil or butter in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Slice up day old Italian bread or whole grain bread into 1" cubes. Lightly fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until croutons are golden brown on each side. Use immediately or store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.