Shaved Asparagus and Arugula Salad
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Salad
- 3 cups lightly packed arugula
- 4 medium beets, cooked and then quartered
- 5 thick asparagus spears
- ⅓ crumbled Ricotta Salata (or other salty hard cheese)
- ¼ roasted and chopped hazelnuts
- ⅓ thinly sliced red onion
- Lemon Vinaigrette, drizzled to taste
- Line up all 5 of the asparagus spears on a cutting board. Cut off the about the bottom 1-2" of each spear to get rid of any tough ends. Then with a vegetable peeler, peel along the entire length of the asparagus to create long thing strips or shavings. See pictures above. Place shaved asparagus in an ice water bath for 10 minutes. This will help the shavings curl slightly.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add hazelnuts and toast for 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden. Roughly chop hazelnuts and set aside.
- Toss arugula with desired amount of lemon vinaigrette dressing. Divide the dressed arugula between two plates, mounding it in the center of each plate.
- Top the arugula first with the red onion, then the shaved asparagus, hazelnuts, and cheese. Place beets around the edge of the salad. This makes for a really pretty presentation.
- Sprinkle with more dressing, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.