Smoked Cheesy Cheddar Popcorn
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Snack
- heaping ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 oz cheddar cheese powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil spray/mister
- Heat canola oil in a medium to large pot – allow to heat for 30-6o seconds. Add in popcorn kernels and quickly stir to coat each kernel in the oil. Cover pot and allow popcorn to steam and begin to pop. Popcorn is done when popping stops or there is several seconds in between pops.
- While popcorn pops, mix together the spice blend: cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt.
- Pour out popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Spray with olive oil spray until there is a light coating of oil on most of the kernels – do not soak or heavily mist otherwise popcorn will get soggy! Sprinkle on half of the spice mixture and toss thoroughly – but gently. This will take about a minute or so of tossing to get the popcorn coated.
- Spray popcorn one more time thoroughly with the olive oil spray. Sprinkle on remaining spice blend and gently toss for another 1-2 minutes.
- Continue tossing gently, adding a few extra sprays of olive oil if needed, until all the spice blend is coated on the popcorn kernels (not sitting on the bottom of your mixing bowl). Serve immediately! Store leftover popcorn (if there is any) in an air tight container for about 5-7 days tops.