Smoked Mozzarella, Tomato & Beet Green Stuffed Focaccia
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 16 oz fresh pizza dough
- 16 oz beet greens or other dark greens of your choice, roughly chopped
- 3 oz sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 F. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven on the top rack and allow to preheat along with the oven.
- In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the beet greens, salt and pepper and saute until completely cooked down. You may have to do this in batches depending on how big your pan is.
- Add in the nutmeg, sun dried tomatoes and garlic. Continue cooking for another minute or two until the garlic is fragrant and the tomatoes are warmed through. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- While the filling cools, roll out the pizza dough to a ¼" thick rectangle. Spread all of the filling over the pizza dough leaving about 1-2" border.
- Scattered the sliced mozzarella evenly over the filling.
- Roll pizza dough, jelly roll style, making sure all the filling is secured inside. Pinch the ends of the roll closed so no melted cheese leaks out.
- Lastly, rub the top of the roll with olive oil and make 3-4 small slits on the top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing. Serve as is or with warmed marinara sauce.