Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, grated (I used the large holes of a box grater)
- ⅓ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- zest and lime from 1 lime
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ red and yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp + ¼ tsp cumin, divided
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- Favorite toppings: sour cream, diced avocado, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, etc
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spread out sweet potato cubes on a large baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp of the olive, smoked paprika and half of the salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, prepare cauliflower rice. Place shredded cauliflower in a microwave safe dish and cook covered for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove and toss cauliflower with lime juice, zest and ¼ tsp cumin. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions, jalapeños and peppers and sauté for 7-10 minutes or until cooked down slightly.
- Add in remaining cumin, salt and pepper in addition to the garlic powder to the onion mixture. Saute for about 3 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. Add in black beans and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Assemble burrito bowls: start with a bottom layer of the cauliflower rice. Then top with roasted sweet potatoes followed by the black bean and onion mixture. Make it your own by adding on your favorite taco toppings - avocado, cheese, sour cream or tomatoes!