Spinach & Feta Smothered Eggplant Toasts
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: main course
- 1 eggplant, cut into ½" slices
- 5 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓-1/2 cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4-6 slices of toasted Italian bread
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lay eggplant slices on a sheet pan and spray/drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown and tender.
- While eggplant cooks, prepare spinach. Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add in spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and sauté until cooked down - about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and nutmeg continue to and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Set garlic spinach aside.
- Assemble the eggplant toasts. Lay 1-2 slices of eggplant on each piece of bread. Top with about 2-3 tbsp of the spinach. Spoon on enough tomato sauce to cover the top. Finally, sprinkle on about 1 tbsp of the feta cheese.
- Lay eggplant toasts back on the sheet tray and bake for about 10 minutes or until feta begins to turn golden brown and melted. Enjoy immediately!