Tempeh Reubens With Pimento Cheese
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 1 package plain tempeh – cut into ¼″ slices
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup pimento cheese
- 1lb package of sauerkraut rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup low fat Thousand Island Dressing
- 8 slices rye bread
- Preheat skillet over high heat and add tempeh – searing on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Brush on the soy sauce to each side of the tempeh while hot - it'll absorb quickly and give the tempeh slices great flavor!
- In a medium bowl add the drained and rinsed sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing. Mix well and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches: start with one piece of rye bread. Smear on about ¼ cup of pimento cheese spread.
- Layer on 4-5 slices of the seared tempeh. Top with a few heaping tablespoons of the sauerkraut mixture and top with another piece of rye bread. Assemble four sandwiches.
- I used a panini press to toast up these yummy sandwiches. But if you don’t have a panini press, heat a large skillet over medium high heat, spray with nonstick spray and add sandwiches 2 at a time. Press down with another pan topped with heavy cans to make a “pressed” sandwich.
- Cook until golden brown on the bottom and then flip over to brown the topside of the sandwich. When finished, slice in half and serve warm!