Tempeh Sausage and Kale Calzones
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Main Dish
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough (I used Martha Stewart's Recipe)
- 1 8oz package of tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz kale
- ½ thinly slice onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce - for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Crumble the tempeh and add to marinade. Allow to set for at least 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Drain tempeh from marinade (but save left over marinade). Add to skillet and cook until browned on all sides. Remove tempeh from skillet and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add onions to skillet and saute for 7 minutes or until onions are starting to get translucent. Add garlic, reserved marinade and kale. Cook another 7-10 minutes or until kale is fully cooked down.
- Add kale and onion mixture to crumbled tempeh. Add in the ricotta and mozzarella.
- Divide the pizza dough into 6 even balls. Roll out to ¼" thick.
- Scoop ¾-1 cup of the filling onto each piece of dough and fold over the top. Press the edges together tightly to make sure no filling leaks out.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Serve with warm marinara sauce.