Vanilla-Scented Lemons Bars
Author: Maria Tadic
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place ½ cup flour, 2 tbsp powdered sugar, pine nuts, and salt in a food processor; pulse a few times to combine. Add butter and canola oil. Pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. In a 8" square baking dish, add in the crust mixture and press evenly over the bottom of the pan. Use the bottom of a glass to get a nice compact crust. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Combine ¾ cup sugar, 2 tbsp flour, lemon zest, vanilla extract, lemon juice and eggs in a medium bowl, whisking until smooth. Pour lemon mixture over crust.
- Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until the center set. Remove from oven, and cool pan on a wire rack.
- Cover and put the bars into the fridge for at least 2 hours. After they have completely cooled, slice into 16 squares - wet knife in between each cut for even. mess-free slices.