Roasted Peach & Blueberry Compote
There is absolutely nothing better than a fresh summer peach. The kind that’s super sweet – sweeter than candy. So juicy you have to eat it over a sink as the juice runs down your chin. Those peaches….those are the best kind. One of the best parts of summer!
Around here, we actually have a fair amount of peach orchards. Peaches are no longer just from Georgia people! Virginia has their fair share of these fuzzy fruits and they are delicious! About an hour from us, there is a great farm (Great Country Farms) that has a wonderful pick-your-own orchard – apples, plums, berries of all sorts, potatoes, pumpkins AND peaches.
Last weekend Dario and I decided to make the trip out West to pick some of our own peaches. Medo came too – he loves the trip out there. Of course it’s mostly because he gets a fair amount of snacks! (This time being some freshly picked peaches!). We had so much fun! The peaches were so sweet and fresh. Our favorite were these little donut peaches. Shaped exactly as the name implies, they have a super tiny pit and the sweetest flesh ever. We came home with a ton of those peaches and a fair amount of these sweet little yellow plums.
I have to say a good amount of those peaches were eaten on the car ride home. But a few were leftover for my culinary creations in the kitchen. I decided to make this Roasted Peach & Blueberry Compote to top over vanilla ice cream. It was delicious! If there’s one thing I love more than a fresh peach, its a slow cooked peach that’s gotten all sweet, soft and slightly caramelized. And there’s nothing better than a fresh warmed peach sauce over vanilla ice cream…nothing.
This recipe makes enough for 4-6 bowls of ice cream topping, so if you’re having a dinner party or family over, this would be a fun dessert to serve. But since it’s only Dario and I here, I had some leftovers. Let’s just say, this compote topped over my morning greek yogurt was probably one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had. Wow. Talk about getting a morning off on a good foot! Yum!
Roasted Peach & Blueberry Compote:
- 2 large peaches, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, greek yogurt or cottage cheese
- Roasted Peach and Blueberry Compote, peach recipes, berry recipes, yogurt toppings
- Preheat boiler to high and place an oven rack at the highest position closest to the broiler.
- Toss cut up peaches and blueberries with the brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Ensure all pieces of fruit are coated with the sugar mixture.
- Broil fruit until berries burst and peaches just begin to caramelize – about 10 minutes. You might want to flip fruit throughout to get caramelization on multiple sides.
- Serve hot on top of ice cream or cool for a delicious topping for your breakfast yogurt or cottage cheese!