Roasted Shrimp & Feta Salad
As of late, I’ve been very much into seafood. Especially salmon and shrimp. Maybe its just the whole seafood and end of summer combo. But I just can’t seem to get enough of it! Grilled salmon over salad, spicy shrimp tacos, herb crusted salmon, and now this Roasted Shrimp & Feta Salad. It’s tasty, light and the perfect quick dinner. Can’t get a better combo!
Shrimp are one of my favorite seafood items. I love the taste, but I love how quick they are to cook up. It’s literally about 8 to 10 minutes to get a shrimp dinner on the table. On top of that, theres wonderful, high quality frozen shrimp that’s cheap at the grocery store. I always stow a bag in my freezer so I can whip them up whenever the mood hits!
The only thing with shrimp, is making sure you prepare it correctly. Over cooked shrimp are super spongy, chewy and can even get tough. Not tasty whatsoever. And because they cook so quick, it can be pretty easy to get them to that chewy point. Make sure you:
- Cook shrimp quickly. Unlike other proteins or even produce, slow cooking doesn’t work with shrimp. Your best bet is a higher heat and a short cooking time.
- Understand shrimp size. Sometimes they might be labeled, small, medium, large or even jumbo. But many times the size is listed as a number. Like 16/20 – that means there are anywhere from 16-20 shrimp per pound.
- Cook within a 1-2 days of purchase. Shrimp should smell fresh like the ocean. Any shrimp that was bought fresh should be used sooner. Buying frozen is a great bet – usually frozen within hours of being caught and can be stored as long as you need in the freezer!
- Pink means done! Pink shrimp that are slightly springy when touched are done cooking. Also, their tails curl in when they are completely done.
Enjoy your delicious shrimp over this tasty salad! It’s the perfect back to school, quick summer dinner! Enjoy
Roasted Shrimp & Feta Salad:
- 1 lb shrimp, shells removed and deveined (I used extra large shrimp here)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz bag lettuce (use you’re favorite! I went with a kale and cabbage blend!)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup toasted and salted sunflower seeds
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 3 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- In a large zip top plastic baggie, add in the shrimp, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Squish around until all the shrimp are coated in the marinade. Allow to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pre heat your oven to 400 F.
- While the oven pre heats, make the Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing. Place all dressing ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth and combined – about 20-30 seconds. Taste and adjust for seasonings as necessary.
- Lay out the shrimp on a sheet try in one layer – make sure they do not over lap. Roast for about 8-10 minutes or until shrimp have just begun to curl into themselves and the flesh is pink.
- Toss salad greens with dressing. Portion into bowls and top with 4-5 roasted shrimp, crumbled feta and toasted sunflower seeds. Enjoy!