Smoked Cheesy Cheddar Popcorn
So popcorn is my top favorite snack. Ok…maybe just one of my top favorite snacks. In the top five at least! I used to always have some microwave bags around for movie nights….or just any night. There’s nothing better snuggling up to a good movie with some tasty popcorn!
However, one time I was craving those salty little kernels and didn’t have any popcorn in the house. Except for a bag of plain popcorn kernels. God knows what recipe I thought I’d be making with those, but out they came! I tossed a handful of kernels into a pot with some olive oil and turned on the stove and voila! Popcorn!
I was so excited that I figured out how to make popcorn without the microwave! I was (and still am) super impressed with the fact that I made popcorn “from scratch.” I know that might not sound very impressive, but I was pretty stoked by this revelation.
So now I never buy microwave popcorn and just make a quick batch on the stove top instead. And the more and more I’ve made stop top popcorn, the more I’ve experimented with the flavors. A little salt and olive oil is always pretty delicious. But let’s be honest, cheesy cheddar popcorn? That’s pretty awesome.
This Smoked Cheesy Cheddar Popcorn is the best thing since…well microwave popcorn! I love the cheesy flavor…of course. But the hint of garlic and smoked paprika are awesome!!! So delicious! You definitely need to make a batch of this…or several. Definitely several!
Smoked Cheesy Cheddar Popcorn:
- heaping 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 oz cheddar cheese powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil spray/mister
- Heat canola oil in a medium to large pot – allow to heat for 30-6o seconds. Add in popcorn kernels and quickly stir to coat each kernel in the oil. Cover pot and allow popcorn to steam and begin to pop. Popcorn is done when popping stops or there is several seconds in between pops.
- While popcorn pops, mix together the spice blend: cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt.
- Pour out popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Spray with olive oil spray until there is a light coating of oil on most of the kernels – do not soak or heavily mist otherwise popcorn will get soggy! Sprinkle on half of the spice mixture and toss thoroughly – but gently. This will take about a minute or so of tossing to get the popcorn coated.
- Spray popcorn one more time thoroughly with the olive oil spray. Sprinkle on remaining spice blend and gently toss for another 1-2 minutes.
- Continue tossing gently, adding a few extra sprays of olive oil if needed, until all the spice blend is coated on the popcorn kernels (not sitting on the bottom of your mixing bowl). Serve immediately! Store leftover popcorn (if there is any) in an air tight container for about 5-7 days tops.