Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
There’s something extra delicious about Mexican food. I don’t know if it’s the spicy kick of the ingredients, the fact that everything is topped with melted cheese or how the flavors just pop. Either way, Mexican is one of my top favorite types of foods.
Unfortunately, going out for Mexican generally means consuming about 1,000 more calories than I need. Chips, cheese, sour cream, more cheese…yea not great for the waistline. But when I whip up some homemade Mexican food, I feel a little bit better. I can control what goes into and of course how much of that delicious cheese is layered on top.
Recently, I’ve been in the mood for a taco salad or burrito bowl type dish. Plus, there’s a Chipotle right across the street from our building – I can see it from our living room window. So there’s only so many times one can stare at a Chipotle and not crave a burrito bowl. Seriously…it’s hard.
So I made a healthy version of a burrito bowl. In fact, it’s a super healthy version. Cauliflower “rice” instead of regular white rice. A black bean, pepper and onion mix for a healthy, fiber-licious protein source. And a little bit of roasted sweet potato for something fun and different. All together? A amazingly delicious dish!
I packed these super burrito bowls into mason jars. Perfect container to bring to work. Or a fun party idea! Either way, make these burrito bowls. They’re delicious!
Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, grated (I used the large holes of a box grater)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- zest and lime from 1 lime
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- Favorite toppings: sour cream, diced avocado, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, etc
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spread out sweet potato cubes on a large baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp of the olive, smoked paprika and half of the salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While potatoes cook, prepare cauliflower rice. Place shredded cauliflower in a microwave safe dish and cook covered for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove and toss cauliflower with lime juice, zest and 1/4 tsp cumin. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions, jalapeños and peppers and sauté for 7-10 minutes or until cooked down slightly.
- Add in remaining cumin, salt and pepper in addition to the garlic powder to the onion mixture. Saute for about 3 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. Add in black beans and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Assemble burrito bowls: start with a bottom layer of the cauliflower rice. Then top with roasted sweet potatoes followed by the black bean and onion mixture. Make it your own by adding on your favorite taco toppings – avocado, cheese, sour cream or tomatoes!