Spinach & Feta Smothered Eggplant Toasts
At work I teach monthly nutrition education classes to my preoperative patients. Each month is a different topic and among my many classes, one focuses on healthy eating out. I always remind patients that fried, cream sauce, au gratin or smothered are generally descriptions that would indicate a “not so healthy” option. And that rarely does “smothered” mean smothered with vegetables. It’s usually cheese, gravy or some other high calorie concoction.
Except…for this recipe. Which is totally ironic considering I have taught, on multiple occasions, that no such dish exists. But now it does! Thanks to me, I’ve made “smothered” healthy. I’ve smothered a vegetable with another vegetable! And the result? A delicious and flavorful dinner!
These Spinach & Feta Smothered Eggplant Toasts are a great appetizer, but also serve well as a light dinner. Which is what I ended up doing. I paired these little feta covered toasts with a side salad for an easy, quick dinner.
But really, I could of just eaten a whole plate of Spinach & Feta Smothered Eggplant Toasts. That would of been delicious and perfectly acceptable in my book. Unfortunately I am required to share food with my husband and had to give up half of these!
Spinach & Feta Smothered Eggplant Toasts:
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 5 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3-1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4-6 slices of toasted Italian bread
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lay eggplant slices on a sheet pan and spray/drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown and tender.
- While eggplant cooks, prepare spinach. Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add in spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and sauté until cooked down – about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and nutmeg continue to and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Set garlic spinach aside.
- Assemble the eggplant toasts. Lay 1-2 slices of eggplant on each piece of bread. Top with about 2-3 tbsp of the spinach. Spoon on enough tomato sauce to cover the top. Finally, sprinkle on about 1 tbsp of the feta cheese.
- Lay eggplant toasts back on the sheet tray and bake for about 10 minutes or until feta begins to turn golden brown and melted. Enjoy immediately!