Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Pudding Parfaits
I have to say, chia seed pudding never seemed appetizing to me. Especially knowing that REAL pudding is deliciously creamy and the perfect dessert. But as usual, I couldn’t resist trying it out myself. There’s only so many recipes for chia seed pudding I can come across before I decide its time for a home trial.
I wanted to pair my chia pudding with some jam or a compote. I thought that would be a nice bright flavor compared to the pudding. I went with my Strawberry Rhubarb Compote that I always make this time of year. I love the hot pink color and the sweet tart flavor. It’s pretty delicious!
Layered together, vanilla chia seed pudding and the compote were awesome! Nothing about this dessert that I didn’t like. Even better, this is actually good for breakfast too. High in protein and fiber, plus a little fruit? That’s the definition of a healthy breakfast to me!
Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Pudding Parfaits:
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 lbs sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar (more or less depending on how sweet your berries are)
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half, seeds set aside
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Whisk together the chia seeds, milk, vanilla extract and honey in a medium bowl. Cover and allow to thicken in the refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours.
- While pudding thickens, prepare strawberry rhubarb compote. Heat a medium-sized sauce pan over medium high heat add all ingredients. Stir gently to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often.
- Turn down to medium and simmer for about 15 or 20 minutes or until strawberry mixture has thickened to a syrup-like consistency.
- Set aside and cool. Refrigerate after cooled – leftovers can be stored for about 2 weeks.
- To make parfaits layer in chia seed pudding and strawberry rhubarb compote – alternating layers. Garnish with freshly sliced strawberries!