Sweet Blood Orange & Avocado Salad
Generally I’m a huge fan of winter and all it’s cold weather. This year though…I’m not feeling it. All these bitter cold, windy days are getting old and boring. I cannot wait for Spring and Summer – especially all the no-cooking required produce. Fresh salads, fruit and simple meals. That’s what I want!
Luckily I got my hands on some blood oranges from Melissa’s. Although citrus is technically a winter fruit, the flavor always reminds me of warmer days. Blood oranges are super sweet and ruby red. They’re sweeter than your typical orange and have a slight berry flavor to them. Their outsides can range from looking exactly like a regular orange to having some magenta hues. Very unique indeed!
One of my favorite ways to eat these oranges, besides just peeling them up and stuffing them in my face, is thrown into a simple salad. Their tart, sweet flavor pair really well with creamy avocado and just a touch of red onion. Drizzled with a little good quality olive oil and salt and pepper and you have a simple, fresh and elegant salad. Perfect way to fake a warm day when it’s only 34 F outside. Yup!
I also whipped up a blood orange glaze. Which was super, super delicious! I drizzled that over some baked salmon filets and they came out quite tasty. I used the leftover glaze and added an extra splash of olive oil for a sweet and tart salad dressing which was AMAZING! The recipe is below – hope you enjoy it. The pictures I took were horrible, soooo they’re not included in the post :).
Either way, get your hands on some blood oranges – you can check them out here on Melissa’s website. Theirs were particularly juicy and sweet which was perfect!!
Sweet Blood Orange & Avocado Salad:
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1 avocado, diced
- sliced red onion – just a few!
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Layer the oranges in a row. Top with diced avocado and red onion. Careful sprinkle on the salt and pepper – don’t over do it! And lastly, drizzle on the olive oil.
- Simple, but delicious – enjoy immediately!
Blood Orange & Shallot Glaze:
- 1 cup blood orange juice (4-5 oranges)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Bring orange juice to a simmer in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat and continue simmering for about 15 mins and juice has reduced by at least 1/2.
- While juice simmers, heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium high heat. Add in shallots and sauté for about 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Once juice has reduced, stir in the shallots and olive oil, mustard and salt and pepper. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Serve over grilled fish or use as a tangy salad dressing!
The ingredients in this post were provided free of charge from Melissa’s. Recipe created and developed by BeanAFoodie. I did not receive any kickbacks or payments from featuring Melissa’s in this post – just got to cook with delicious produce!