Tangy Marinated Lentils
So yesterday it was like 80 degrees here in VA. Which is crazy because it’s been in the high 50’s or 60’s recently. I think it’s called an Indian Summer…maybe. It’s quite possible I’m making that up. But I think I’ve heard of a random hot day after Fall and it’s called an Indian Summer. Anyways, we had one of those random hot days yesterday. Hot. Well 80 degrees – that’s hot to me.
Needless to say, the genius people that run our building have the HEAT on. Lord knows it’d be too logical to check the weather and realize you don’t need any type of heat whatsoever when it’s forecasted to be in the mid 80’s. But we like to keep it ridiculous here in our building, so the heat was left on.
I came home to a 78 degree apartment, a panting fat bulldog and a kitchen that dared me to turn on the oven. Obviously I went with no oven and no stove. I can’t even imagine how hot it would have gotten had I actually used any of my kitchen appliances. Instead I went with a cold marinated lentil dish – no cooking required!
This is a perfect quick and easy dish to make. It tastes best if you let it sit for a bit in the fridge – maybe an hour or so if you have the time. A time out over night would be great too. I served this protein and fiber packed meal over salad greens for dinner. Then sent the leftovers to work with Dario and included some pita bread on the side. It was one of the most perfect, filling, no cook dishes that I’ve had in a while! Definitely will be a on my summer and spring dinner menus!
Tangy Marinated Lentils:
- 1 lb cooked lentils
- 2 tbsp capers, chopped (add in some caper juice for a little extra salty zing!)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked balsamic vinegar or regular balsamic vinegar
- Combine the lentils, capers, carrots and onions in a large bowling, stirring to combine.
- In a separate smaller bowl whisk together the thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and vinegar. Drizzle over lentil mixture and allow to sit for at least 30-60 mins. Best when made the night before!
- Enjoy with pita chips, over salad greens or steam brown rice or quinoa!