Two Kale & Summer Berry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Have you ever craved a dish that you’ve never made? Does that sound crazy?
Well I’ve been craving summer salads! Especially ones with spinach and berries. And little bites of sweetness from blueberries and strawberries all through a big fat spinach salad. It just sounds so good to me! Light and refreshing…no cooking required. Yet…I’ve never actually made one myself!
So in steps my Two Kale & Summer Berry Salad. My mom loaded me up with tons of curly and tuscan kale from her garden, so I ended up using that over baby spinach. But spinach would be equally delicious I’d think. I also bought tons of fresh blueberries and strawberries from the farmers market.
But you know me… I can’t just leave it at kale and berries. Delicious, sure. But a little boring for me. So I tossed in some quinoa (for protein), thinly sliced red onion and some salty feta cheese and tossed it all together with just a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sooooo good!
This is my perfect salad! So many bright, summery flavors in each bite! I couldn’t get enough of it! And…that’s why we’ve had it for dinner at least 1-2 x a week lately. Greens and berries, who woulda thought?
Two Kale & Summer Berry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette :
- 3 cups curly kale, chopped
- 3 cups Tuscan kale, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Toss the kale with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Massage gently with your hands until kale is just ever so slightly wilted. This helps the kale be less fibrous and bulky when you’re eating it.
- Gently toss in the blueberries, strawberries, quinoa, feta cheese and red onion. Try not to mash or break up the berries very much. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Serve immediately.